While learning the art of makeup or experimenting with the rising Instagram trends, what is often neglected is the cleaning of the makeup tools. It wouldn’t come as a shock if someone will admit that they haven’t cleaned their makeup brushes at all. Brushes and tools are the building blocks of any makeup look and it is essential that they are cleaned to maintain hygiene and assist a smooth application. Investment in brushes and beauty blenders can go in vain if a cleaning routine is not followed and which can lead to the early demise of these expensive tools.
Why should you wash them?
Makeup brushes and other tools come in direct contact with your skin every time you use them. Some of them are used to apply liquid/cream foundations, concealers, highlighters while some of them are used to apply powdered products like eyeshadow, blush etc. The brushes and sponges are porous in nature and absorb the oil, bacteria, and debris along with the makeup product. The bacteria keep on building if the brushes are not washed which leads to a spotty application and rough blending. If these brushes are shared then there are chances of acne and other skin related problems. Also, if these tools are not washed, different colours can be transferred from one palette to another.
When should you wash them?
Dermatologists suggest that makeup brushes should be washed/cleaned every weak especially if they are used for liquid/cream application or are used near the eyes. However, if you are not a regular user of makeup, you may consider washing them every two weeks. The brushes used for powdered makeup application can be washed once a month.
How should you wash them?
The most common question of all is how you should wash your makeup brushes and beauty blender/sponges. A build-up of makeup products hinders the ease of movement, softness, and flexibility.
If you are using natural hair brush then use a mild soap to wash them and if the bristles are synthetic then you may opt for a harsher soap mix.
STEPS TO CLEAN THE MAKEUP BRUSHES
- Take lukewarm water and dip the brushes in it.
- Place a few drops of baby shampoo (for natural hair brushes), dish wash liquid (for synthetic hair brushes) on the palm of your hand.
- Gently massage the brush bristles on your palm.
- Rinse with either warm/cold water.
- Squeeze out the excess water and reshape the brush.
- Let it dry on a flat surface.
STEPS TO CLEAN BEAUTY BLENDERS/SPONGES
- As compared to brushes, beauty blenders and sponges have more bacteria accumulated on the surface and deep inside. They should be cleaned every week and require a tougher approach as compared to the brushes.
- Take hot water in a glass or bowl.
- Add a few drops of dish wash liquid and mix.
- Leave your beauty blender/ sponges in it for 5-10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the foundation/concealer or any makeup absorbed in it.
- Let it dry and repeat the steps if required.