For most of the women, the attractiveness of their hands is directly proportional to the beauty of their nails. Unfortunately, this beauty is marred by the brittleness of the nails resulting in chipped and cracked nails. The reasons for which are many, including, long exposure to water, aging, nutritional deficiency, dehydration and long-term use of nail paint. If you too are a victim of brittle and weak nails then you are certainly on the right page. You can treat your delicate nails with some miraculous natural home remedies available in your kitchen. There are a number of things sitting in your kitchen cupboard, fridge and dressing table drawers which you can use to treat the breaking, splitting or peeling of the nails.
# Lemon + Olive oil
Lemon is that versatile citrus fruit which is mostly used for the home remedies. Lemon is also a natural bleaching agent which can be used to strengthen and brighten the nails. Olive oil, on the other hand, is the most versatile oil used for cooking, moisturizing skin and treating dandruff. A combination of these two ingredients can solve your nail problems to a great extent.
Mix 3-4 tbsps. of olive oil and 2 tbsps. of lemon juice and heat the mixture slightly. Soak your nails for 15-20 minutes. Massage the nails and leave them overnight. It’s better to do this before you go to bed. Keep doing it for 2-3 weeks and you will visibly see the difference.
Alternatively, you can dip your nails in only olive oil for 15 minutes and massage twice a day. Olive oil effectively penetrates the nail cuticles which ultimately strengthens and repairs the nails.
# Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very commonly used in Indian households and you can use it for curing splitting nails also. The saturated fat in coconut oil moisturizes the nails deeply and prevents any breakage. It also inhibits any infection which might worsen the problem.
Heat the coconut oil till its lukewarm and massage on the nails for 2-3 minutes. Leave it overnight and repeat it for 2-3 weeks.
# Vitamin E
Vitamin E capsules are widely used for treating damaged hair and nails. They are easily available at any pharmacy with a common name, Evion. Many DIY home remedies for skin and hair include Vitamin E capsules as a key ingredient. Vitamin E helps in keeping the hair thicker and stronger. Also, it helps in keeping the skin youthful preventing aging. The same works for nails also. Vitamin E supplies the needed nourishment to the nails cures related problems.
Apart from consuming the Vitamin E capsules, you can extract the oil from the capsules and add it to the coconut oil or olive oil mixture for better results. Alternatively, you can massage with the oil for 10 minutes daily for at least two weeks.
# Tea tree oil
Tea tree is a very effective antiseptic which can cure any fungal infection. It is extensively used for curing acne but it can also cure any nail related problems which include breakage due to infections. It treats brittle and discoloured nails giving results sooner than any other home remedy.
Tea tree is very strong and concentrated and, therefore, should be used in a diluted form. You can add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil in the vitamin E capsule oil and then massage with it. Do it for two weeks and see the results.
# Sea salt
Sea salt has a good concentration of minerals and this is why it is known for its healing and rejuvenating properties. Sea salt is a perfect remedy for curing nail problems. It is very effective in adding shine to the nails and strengthening them.
Mix 3 tbsps. of sea salt in lukewarm water. You may also add lemon juice in the mixture and soak your nails for 15 minutes. Repeat the process twice a day for at least a week.
After trying these home remedies, the result is bound to astonish you as you will see your nails become healthier and shinier. They will be less prone to breakage and peeling as they were earlier. It is also imperative here to not that the remedies come with a list of Do’s and Don’ts which should be followed religiously for best results.
- Always seal the moisture with hand cream or lotions after washing your hands.
- Whenever applying oil to your hair, do it with your own hands and leave them as it is without washing.
- Invest in a range of good moisturizing creams which are milk or cream based.
- If you do not want to invest in creams and lotion, glycerin can be used as an alternative.
- Wear gloves whenever possible like when you are doing the dishes.
- Eat a vitamin and protein rich diet which will help solve your problem internally.
- Whenever you use nail polish remover, immediately wash your hands and apply any of the oils mentioned above.
- Do not expose your hands to water for a longer period of time.
- Do not come in contact with harsh chemicals like bleach and cleaning agents.
- Do not leave your hands dry.
- Do not use nail paints which have harsh chemical concentration.
- Do not use hand sanitizers as they contain alcohol which leaves your hands dry. If you are still keen on using it for hygiene purposes, seal the moisture immediately with a hand cream.